Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Packing Tips to Feel Great and Look Stylish On Vacation


Style with Lee Heyward
Feeling confident in your appearance while traveling can make your vacation all the better. When you feel great in your clothing, the possibilities for exploration and self-discovery are endless.

To help you feel confident in your attire and packing decisions, Lee Heyward, style expert and owner of Charleston Style Concierge, did me the honor of participating in an interview for Travel with Melissa. In this interview, Lee shares her personal styling and packing trips for every traveler who wants to feel and look great while on vacation.

Below is the interview:
Why did you decide on a career in fashion and style?
Actually, my career in fashion and style found me. I have always had a passion for helping people and a skill for putting outfits together. I discovered how to mesh the two in fourth grade when my best friend felt she needed “cooler” clothes in order to feel confident starting at a new school. I got out my Seventeen magazine and headed into her closet. I’ve been helping people find style they love ever since. Two years ago, I left the hubbub of corporate life and founded Charleston Style Concierge in order to help women everywhere feel stylish and confident every time they step out the door.

How can the right outfit make a trip special?
There is something about travel that inspires you to look your best. Walking the streets in your hometown just doesn’t seem as glamorous as strolling the streets of an ancient city or tropical island. Even though you may not know anyone you pass, you want to feel like the best version of yourself. This is why the right outfit can make your trip even more special.

A dress that makes you feel ten years younger could inspire you to accept an impromptu salsa dance that you talk about for years. The right bathing suit will make you feel confident enough to stroll the beach where you find the most beautiful shell you’ve ever seen. The right outfit is simply a combination of clothing, but that combination can help make your trip even more special.

What are your favorite travel pieces that you never leave home without?
I have been very blessed to travel to many interesting places both in my personal and professional life. No matter where I go, I have a few travel staples I never leave home without:

• A Versatile Day Bag. Other than my suitcase I want to only have to carry one other thing with me. I use a large purse or tote that can fit everything I want to keep with me during my travels. I specifically choose one in a pseudo-neutral color so that it matches everything. My favorite bag is purple and I can wear it shopping, to the beach, or on the plane in style. In my day bag, I keep a wallet that also doubles as a clutch for a stylish evening out.
• A Lightweight Layer. It seems that no matter what mode of transportation I use, the temperature fluctuates from freezing cold to suffocating hot. When I travel, I make sure to dress in a way that accommodates a lightweight layer. Depending on my destination, I sometimes use a long sleeve t-shirt, pashmina, or thin cardigan. This way, I can adjust for whatever temperature I’m in, but I also have an extra layer that is easily stored in my day bag and can even be used as a pillow.
• Tiny Toiletries. To look your best, you’ve got to have the right toiletries. Schlepping around your big bottle of shampoo, conditioner, and moisturizer gets heavy. For ease of space, weight, and peace of mind, I downsize all of my toiletries. My Dobb bag stays packed with travel size versions of the products I use. When I can’t find smaller versions of my favorite brands, I buy smaller bottles and fill them up myself.

What 3 stylish tips would you share with people to help them feel more at ease while packing?
Packing can be stressful. Often you arrive at your destination wondering why you packed the outfit options that you did. Eliminate feeling unstylish and make sure you feel great your entire trip. Here’s how:

• Try on the outfits you plan before you pack them. If you put together an outfit with items you haven’t recently worn, or have never worn together, try it on. Be confident that each outfit you pack is one you feel confident and stylish wearing.
• Pack outfits. It’s easy to pack your favorite shorts and your favorite tops only to end up with nothing you actually want to wear. Take a moment to think about the demands of your trip and plan outfits accordingly.
• Stay true to your personal style. If you have to wear something on a trip that is outside of your everyday wear, stay true to your personal style. If you find yourself needing outerwear for your destination’s rainy season, don’t settle on any old rain coat. Find one that meets both your outerwear and style needs.

About Lee

Lee Heyward
Lee Heyward is a style coach and owner of Charleston Style Concierge, LLC, a company which specializes in teaching women how to achieve easy and effortless style. Lee works with clients one-on-one, virtually, and hosts monthly seminars. Lee believes anyone can have great style with a little knowledge and an open mind. Charleston Style Concierge is located in Charleston, South Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment