Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Top 7 Travel Packing Tips


Woman packing for a trip
“What should I pack?” is one of the most frequent questions I hear from people and truthfully sometimes mutter myself. I try to stick with a strategy of packing neutral colors with a few pieces of color to step it up a notch. This leaves me flexible, stylish and ready to go. My goal is to maximize what I take and minimize what I carry.

Here are my top 7 tips for travel packing:

1. Buy mix and match collections. Somewhere in the shopping evolution women decided to buy separates. When you pack, instead of laying out the shirts with the shirts and the pants with the pants, lay out your clothes in combinations that can be worn together. Each piece of clothing can (and should) be part of more than one outfit. Try to pack only  enough clothes to get you through each day of your trip.

2. Pack items you can wear at least twice. If you can’t get more than one wear from a piece of clothing, it should not go into your suitcase. Ask yourself, “Is this comfortable and durable enough to wear twice?” and “Can I use it to make at least two different outfits?” After asking these questions, I think you’ll find it easier and easier to pack appropriately.

3. Launder clothes. I know I can hear you saying “No way, not me!” If you are planning a 2 week or longer vacation, I would recommend laundering clothes instead of packing more items. A small zip-loc or old prescription bottle of your choice powder detergent will free up space for you to go on more shopping sprees.

4. Wear the clothes you buy on vacation. There is no need to “save” them until you return home. How fun is it to wear the sundress you bought in Rome when you are actually in Rome? Plus, when you get home and wear the sundress, it will bring back wonderful memories of your vacation.

5. Pack only 3 pairs of shoes. Aim for packing two casual pairs and one dressy. If you are anything like me, you love shoes but remember shoes take up a lot of room and are heavy. Wear one pair and pack the other 2 pairs. Besides if you have a need (ok a strong want) what better excuse to buy new shoes?!

6. Roll and layer. Pack your suitcase in such a way that maximizes the space available and minimizes wrinkling. Start with shoes and any heavier items go towards the bottom or wheels of suitcase to minimize wrinkles. Stuff your shoes with sleepwear, undergarments, etc – this will help keep the shoe’s shape and utilize space. Make use of all the inside and outside pockets. Roll your clothes and layer with dry cleaning bags to decrease friction and wrinkles.

7. Pack without emotion. It never fails. As you are zipping up your suitcase, a small voice whispers “you might need that extra dress” or “you’ll regret not packing the red cardigan sweater “. Don’t listen!  If you’ve packed a mix and match collection, trust me, you will be good to go.

Share with us what some of your travel packing tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment